Sunday, August 12, 2007

Stardust

The Daughter and I went to see Stardust on Friday evening. We are both fantasy fans and, although she is only 11, I have found her to be at a point where many (but not all) media restrictions can be lifted and was okay with taking her to such a fantasy, even though it was rated PG-13. I am not really a Gaiman fan, as his "children's" book Coraline was easily the scariest thing I have ever read and a book I would not let the eleven-year-old read, but this story of his was a romantic adventure, not really meant to be scary, and I took a chance on it, which I do not regret. That said, it had some pretty dark parts, so do be warned. The movie contained violence, sex, murder, rotting ghosts and divination by entrails, so it is not for the younger set. It also contained cross-dressing, but I am cool with that for little kids. Mostly, though, the movie was just humorous.

Stardust is about a young man's journey to adulthood. Tristan lives in a village called Wall, which borders a magical realm. He crosses the wall to seek a falling star to bring back to the girl he loves as proof of his devotion, but in the magical realm where the star has fallen, stars are people and a young woman is what he finds. Apparently, eternal life and youth can be found by eating the glowing heart of a star every once in awhile and ancient witches and an evil princeling seek the fallen star for this nefarious reason. Tristan and the star have many adventures and, of course, fall in love, in the midst of their travails. There are no big surprises in this movie or any greatly moving moments. It is a humorous fantasy in the style of The Princess Bride, and I found it an entertaining way to spend a little time. The Daughter enjoyed it very well and I recommend it for adolescents and parents who enjoy fantasy and humor. Michelle Pfieffer is as beautiful as she ever was...one has to wonder if she really did eat a star's heart or something.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Yay! I just saw this last Saturday with my husband and a few friends, and enjoyed it very much.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

P.S. I'm not a Coraline fan, but I really enjoyed some of Gaiman's other books: American Gods, Anansi Boys, and Good Omens (cowritten with Terry Pratchett and very, very funny).

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Triana said...

I'm a big Gaiman fan, though I think this is the weakest of his stories. I haven't seen this movie yet, I found the book mildly entertaining. Sadly I know the book too well and I see big plot differences (was there anything about Primus and Septimus's father? Throwing a Topaz stone before his death? And the Star having it?). It is definitely marketed for the adult crowd in spite of it's fairy tale look which appeals so much to kids.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I will try to give the other Gaiman books a shot, although I really hated Coraline. That part was in the movie, Triana!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home